Sunday, April 24, 2011

'Pour'ab, Utah















It's been pouring rain all damn day here in Moab, UT. We had one little window of good weather and we took advantage. Well, I wasn't really eager to take advantage.. I fought to stay inside today and rest my sore legs, watch movies and drink cocoa. But Danielle found this place called Fishers Tower in the guidebook my mom gave us for Christmas. I begged and pleaded to stay inside but Danielle wasn't hearing it, so out we went into the gloomy Moab afternoon to find this Fisher and his Tower.

We drove the 25 miles it took to get to the trailhead, the last 2 miles of which were on a dirt road. Not just any dirt road, this one had those grooves in it that were like corrugated steel. So let me rephrase, the last two miles were on a dirt road that was so bumpy that I think we probably rattled the muffler half way off the car. I might have been a little grumpy at this point. Sorry babe. :(

Anyways back to the story. After we damn near ripped the muffler off the car we pulled up to the trailhead for Fishers Tower and parked next to two other Subaru Outbacks, which we took as a good sign. We got out of the car and looked around... wow, this place is spectacular. We started hiking and it just kept getting more and more amazing. It's basically these HUGE sandstone fins, row after row. At first I mentioned that the sandstone looked like Disneyland rocks.. which are those fake rocks you see at Disneyland, but these were gigantic. They were like something out of the Lord of the Rings. We ended up having this discussion about how long it will be before these formations crumble to the ground. The largest one we hiked around must have been about a thousand feet long, 200 feet tall and only 15 - 20 feet thick in some places, AND they're made of sandstone which is incredibly weak. At the end of the hike there is this amazing viewpoint, the whole hike was so scenic and beautiful. Oh, before I forget, let me update you on the poor weather I opened the conversation with, we hiked the entire 4.6 mile trail without so much as a raindrop. Then what do we feel when we get about 40 feet from the car? Plop, plop, raindrop, now it's raining!

We had such a good time. I'm so glad that Danielle got me out of our house for a few hours. This place is a must-see.

1 comment:

  1. I remember that road! When I read your comment about being grumpy to my wife her response was, "sounds familiar". :D That road sucked! The hike was pretty awesome though.

    ReplyDelete