Thursday, May 12, 2011

Bryce Canyon (Day 2)















I had a big meeting this morning for work. It takes quite a while for my department to get all the items together for our part of the meeting, so yesterday was a really long day, which stretched into the night. So after the meeting I was ready to get my hike on and de-stress. Off we went to see what Bryce is all about!

I don't know how I went my whole life without realizing what Bryce Canyon was. I had this assumption that it was the yin to Zions yang. I pictured big iconic gray cliffs and pine trees. How wrong was I? Completely wrong. I'm so utterly amazed by this place. We did a pretty long loop today and you basically start off on a rim overlooking the valley floor. A lot of people stop there and still, they get an amazing view of this place, but Danielle and I opted to see what the valley looked like. So from the rim you follow some switch backs and these huge sandstone fins and spires start rising farther and farther above you until you're all swallowed up in the belly of this sandstone giant!!

We followed the Navaho trail till we got to the Peek-A-Boo trail and took that for 3 miles. The Peek-A-Boo trail weaves through some amazing fins and spires, you also get a good elevation gain so you can get a beautiful view of the valley from the opposite side you began. After that we met up with the Queens Garden trail where we met an opportunistic chipmunk who luckily, for me, thought my camera could possibly be food. So when I got low to take his picture he came right up to sniff the lens, snap! Gotcha! haha

It was a really fun day and a great way to decompress from being cooped up in the RV working and dealing with the weather this last week.

Oh! Danielle has fully trained me to spot Germans! They all wear this brand called Jack Wolfskin and the logo is this paw print. It must be the equivalent to us wearing North Face gear. Anyhow, today we were walking along the trail and I spotted the logo on this girls sock, so I turned to Danielle and said quietly, 'Germans.' She turned to me and said, 'Your training is complete.'

Tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment