Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hunting for the elusive empty peak






















Somehow when I was thinking of this trip, I had pictured a really relaxing time. 2 Months sounded like an eternity and to prevent boredom we packed tons of books and games. I pictured myself sleeping in, having coffee in front of the RV every morning, going on long hikes and ummmm work a bit too of course. To my astonishment, we don't ever sleep in, I've barely had time to get my hands on any books and we only had time for a few game nights! Well, I think I was a bit in denial that this trip isn't so much a vacation as it is life on the road including work. I keep forgetting this and get disappointed when I get stuck taking care of my work load, when I would rather be outside exploring. Today was one of those busy days again. We got up early, had breakfast inside of the RV in front of our computers as usual… checked emails and began the work day early. It's been raining off and on for the past few days and I got really excited when the sun started peaking out later morning. After lunch I started getting really antsy, moving around in my seat. Seeing the emerald forest right in front of our Panorama windows, with the sun peaking through was just too much to look at. I decided to take a break and go for a walk before the rain would start up again. Tommy was too busy with work, so he stayed at the RV. I jumped in the car and drove down to the beach just 10 minutes from here. The closest town to our campground is called Trinidad, a cute little place with a few shops, a gas station, a couple restaurants and a small harbor. The coastline around here is truly spectacular, offering some amazing views. I found a small little overgrown trail winding around the little peninsular that forms the very tip of Trinidad. There were several lookout spots that had benches, where you could sit down and enjoy the view…which I did. One of the benches had a memorial plaque dedicated to a guy named Scott Andrew Ross who died at the age of 31 while surfing on this beach. It had a really nice poem on it, that read:

Looking beyond the crowds the search continues.
Hunting for the elusive empty peak.
Not wanting to become part of the masses not needing the safety of numbers.
There's one who ventures out.
At ease and finding peace in the rhythmic bobbing of the lonesome lineup.

I started wondering what kind of person this guy was and how sad it is that he died at such a young age. At least he was happy, doing what he loved. It made me think of all the good things in my life and that I really shouldn't get upset about the little things. Like being stuck working in an RV in an amazing place! After all I got to go on this amazing trip and see a lot of amazing things. Even if I didn't get to be lazy, sleep in every morning, read tons of books and play boards games every night, it's still been one of the best experiences in my life. So cheers to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment